Friday, March 10, 2006

I hate big decisions

A few new updates. Besides fighting a war in Iraq, I have made a couple of big jumps. First, I am having a new house built while I am away. Becoming a home owner is a scary yet exciting process. The scary part is that I have not even seen the lot, but I saw the floor plan and the builder is one of the best around. One of the interesting features is that he has hidden speakers in all of the rooms. I think it would be fun to have a house filled with music!

The second piece of info is that I was selected by commanding general of the 101st Airborne Division to attend graduate school (around year 2011) at the school and program of my choice. The army would pick up the tuition tab, and unlike ROTC, I would continue to be paid my full salary and housing expenses. This commitment would obviously take me well beyond my current commitment and propel me farther up the food chain. I don’t want to spend my life in and out of deployments, but retiring at age 42 with a life pension does not seem like a bad idea. For the time being I will keep this grad card in my back pocket. I am still applying for my other grad school options.

Iraq is going well. I am looking forward to pinning on Captain sometime this summer or early fall.

3 comments:

Strauss said...

Where will the house be? Do you need tenants? Wow, home owner Dusty! I wish I could afford that, but then being active duty is a high price to pay from my stand point. Congrats on all the cool life changes! Have I used enough exclamation points?

Dave said...

2023:

Houseguest: cool house
Dusty: thanks, check this out
[click]

[ambient music coming from a hidden source]

Houseguest: cool

[buzz---crack! buzzzzz....]

Houseguest: what is THAT?
Dusty: Uh oh
Houseguest: uh oh what?
Dusty: The speaker just broke
Houseguest: Well let's take a look at it
Dusty: Unfortunately I have no idea where it is
Houseguest: What? Why?
Dusty: The speakers are hidden!
Houseguest: Hidden?
Dusty: Yep, I have no idea where they are
Speakers: Buzzzzzzz....
Houseguest: Shoot
Dusty: [picking up the phone] I'll call the company . . . Yeah, my hidden speakers are broken. What? 2000 bucks? Are you kidding me?
Houseguest: Wow, well we could try punching some holes in the walls.

. . .

Fin

Coye said...

2023...

obviously these builders don't use American made audio components...