Monday, January 09, 2006

Daily Grace

Today’s New York Times contains this astonishing (for you), alarming (for me) article on diabetes in the United States and in NYC. I know I told some of you in a somewhat bizarre fashion, so in case you missed it, here’s the story behind that last cryptic post: I have type 1 diabetes. I was diagnosed on October 4th. Eight days before my 25th birthday.

It’s difficult to convey my emotions on reading this article. It reminds me of painful realities that are easy to forget about within the day to day bustle of life. My life will probably be shorter than yours. I have much better odds of getting heart disease and stroke, of going blind, having nerve damage, or even losing my leg than you do. It may be that I will not be able to provide for my wife and (future) family the way I’d hoped. These are hard things to understand at any age, but especially at 25 when possibilities are supposed to be opening up instead of closing down.

What is one to do when faced with such news? While I can manage and monitor the disease remarkably well thanks to get technological advances and health insurance, I cannot fight it. What can I do but trust Jesus to provide for my needs? My life and health, which have always depended on Christ for sustenance, do so more obviously now. I am not angry anymore, though I was a little at first. At times I am sad, but mostly I am content. I will trust that there is a plan in all of this. I’ll keep you posted.

3 comments:

Dave said...

We're here with you, Andy. Thank you for continuing to talk through this process with us.

Life in this skin, for all of us, is but a breath. We cannot know when our time will come, but we can know our frame. May we all remember with you the simple fact that life is given--that we are sustained by grace through every breath, through every day, through every night.

None of us can fight death. It will come. We all have the disease of entropy coursing in our blood. Yet, even in this, we can embrace the hope to which we were called, we can encourage eachother to remember the hope of our unimaginable inheritance in the coming ages. We will live in new and enduring bodies one day.

Ryan said...

Thank you for your post, Andy, for entrusting to us a little of this your new burden. I apologize for my frivolous remarks before.

Strauss said...

Andy, I'm glad to hear that you're trusting God and can recognize his grace. I imagine that it can't be easy. I'll try to remember to keep you in my prayers. I would never wish diabetes on anyone, but if anyone has the discipline to be diligent and do what they can to prevent side effects, it's you.